Water Safety Planning for the Water Supply System of Dohuk Governorate
The project aims at increasing the resilience of the water supply system of Dohuk Governorate, served by Khrabdeem Water Treatment Plant (KWTP) being the main water supply system for Dohuk, serving around 520,000 people. Recently, the water treatment plant is affected by the decrease of Tigris flowrate (from 250-300m3/s to 90-100m3/s), growing urbanization, and infrastructure projects and settlements located upstream, which are leading to degradation of the quality and quantity of the raw water.
The Project, „Water and sanitation services for vulnerable people in Northern Iraq,“ is part of a broader Programme to improve public services for vulnerable people in the areas of education, health, and water/sanitation. The Programme is jointly financed by the German Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and the Agence Française de Développement (AFD), who co-finances the Water Component of the Program. The overall project aims at strengthening public actors‘ capacity to provide basic services to vulnerable population groups and ensure the sustainability of the results achieved so far through former and ongoing GIZ projects in the region in health, Water/Wastewater, and education/social support.
The activities‘ regional focus is on the Governorate of Dohuk in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq and Nineveh.
- Assessment of current status of the water supply system, operational and economic situation as well as identification of hazards and threats to the water source (deliverables: Situational analysis report and Technical Analysis Report for KWTP);
- Stakeholder Identification and Engagement (deliverables: Stakeholder engagement plan and stakeholder engagement report);
- Development of a Risk Assessment and Mitigation Plan to improve the water source and treatment plant’s protection and performance (deliverables: Risk assessment and risk mitigation plan and Draft M+E framework);
- Development of a Water Safety Plan for the Water Supply System of Dohuk Governorate, including technical, environmental, legal/regulatory, economic and social aspects (deliverables: Water Safety Plan (WSP) for KWTP system with implementation schedule);
- Development of a digital application for the communication and monitoring of the Water Safety Plan.
AMBERO Consulting Gesellschaft mbH
D-61476 Kronberg i.Ts.
Phone: +49 6173 325 40 0
Fax: +49 6173 325 40 22