VTC short-course development with internships for refugee, IDP and host communities in the Erbil and Duhok regions of Kurdistan-Iraq
Disadvantaged young people, especially internally and externally displaced persons (IDP´s) and young people from the host communities, have hardly any employment opportunities after vocational training. The reason is the outdated vocational training system, which is neither appreciated nor demanded by the target group nor by potential employers. Therefor the the Nuffic Orange Knowledge Programme wants to improve the quality of education for displaced people and host communities with their programmes in Iraq.
The project aims at building networks between the VTC’s and the private sector (e.g. by cooperating directly with companies but also by liaising with private sector representations).
Within the short courses proposed in this project, internships in local companies are aimed at strengthening the link between the VTC’s and the private sector and make the training more relevant for both trainees and companies.
At the beginning of the project, both a training needs analysis and labour market analysis will be conducted to determine companies’ needs and the most relevant training topics. By this simultaneous approach, responsiveness to current labour market demands is given to offer students more and valuable employment opportunities.
The project builds further on the courses and labour market analyses that have been developed in the framework of the vocational training partnership programme “PISHE”, also implemented with contribution from AMBERO Consulting GmbH.
The project will take place in the Erbil and Duhok governorates, in the VTC’s in the cities of Zakho, Duhok and Soran. The potential sectors to work in have been defined in agreement between MoLSA. Through local contacts, AMBERO has an extensive private sector network in these regions, operating exactly in these sectors. Besides Tourism and construction, agriculture and food processing are the top 3 of potential sectors to focus for the various activities.
- Labour market analysis
- Define short-course topics
- Training needs analysis
- Selection of companies for internships
- Selection and profiling of trainers
- Short-course development
- Defining necessary equipment for practical training
- Development of 6-10 short-courses
- Developing optional course for a selection of graduates in starting a business
- Capacity strengthening: training teachers in Competence-based education and training (CBET) and didactics
- Training teachers in soft skills
- Training teachers in short-course development
- Training teachers to do job coaching
- Coaching VTC teachers
- Coaching private sector staff during internship
- Develop policy and or business plan for alumni organisation and monitoring and coaching graduates in the long-term.
- Tracing students during and after their employment
- organize and end-seminar with teacher, private sector, MOLSA and project partners
- publication of results
AMBERO Consulting Gesellschaft mbH
D-61476 Kronberg i.Ts.
Phone: +49 6173 325 40 0
Fax: +49 6173 325 40 22