Stabilisation of water supply and sanitation services for refugees, IDPs, and residents of Dohuk governorate (Iraq)
Iraq, a fragile state in an unstable region, has faced major challenges recently due to 215.000 Syrian refugees that fled to Iraq. Additionally, 2.1 Mio. internally displaced persons (IDPs), are now living in refugee camps. The population of the Governorate of Dohuk is raised by 660.000 refugees. The Kurdistan Regional Government faces the great challenge to provide for the IDPs and refugees adequately, but does not have enough capacities, especially the drinking water supply and sanitation are not sufficient.
The objective of the project is to enhance the resilience to maintain the drinking water supply and sanitation for refugees, IDPs and host communities in Dohuk Governorate.
The three fields of action include:
- Implementing priority measures in water supply and sanitation
- Installing a new drinking water supply for the sub-district of Faida
- Strengthening the capacities of partner organisations
The specific task of the consultancy consists of developing a water loss reduction strategy and capacitating the responsible partners to implement the identified priority measures. Furthermore, the consultancy implements the project in close cooperation with the GIZ Project Manager and focuses on the support of the partner institutions to improve their understanding of water losses in the water distribution system of Dohuk.
Services provided by the consultancy are:
- Asset Documentation: Water distribution assets are documented electronically
- District metering areas (DMA) are identified
- A Household Metering Campaign is designed
- Water balancing is initiated according to the IWA method
- Pressure mapping based on the documented network assets and the topographic arrangements is initiated
- Cost structure for water provision is elaborated, as well as the staff structure
- Dynamic prime cost (DPC) calculation for water production is determined
- Development of the priority interventions for loss reduction describing the expected water savings potential and the estimated cost is presented in a report
- Action Plan for NRW Reduction is elaborated
- Three Workshops are designed to support the partners throughout the entire duration of the measure
AMBERO Consulting Gesellschaft mbH
D-61476 Kronberg i.Ts.
Phone: +49 6173 325 40 0
Fax: +49 6173 325 40 22