Programme for the Economic and Social Development of Secondary Cities Exposed to Instability Factors (PRODESV)
Cameroon is an important actor for economic and political stability in the Central/West Africa sub-region. For several years now, it has been affected by large-scale security and political crises in neighbouring countries, and is increasingly playing a role as a host for refugees and internally displaced persons. At the same time, it is resolutely pursuing a decentralization policy, which is largely focused on municipal development.
The „Programme for the Economic and Social Development of Secondary Cities Exposed to Instability Factors (PRODESV)“ targets areas hosting refugees, internally displaced persons and other migrants in Cameroon. The project will support 15 secondary cities (Mozogo, Mogode, Kai-Kai, Baschéo, Madingring, Touboro, Meiganga, Djohong, Ngaoui, Garou a-Boulai, Kentzou, Kette, Bétaré-Oya, Mintom, Campo) in the Northern (Far North, North and Adamaoua), Eastern and Southern Regions of Cameroon. Support is provided through the implementation of communal projects – especially the construction of public infrastructure – building on an approach based on the integration of local entrepreneurship, vocational training and labour-intensive works (HIMO). The Project is implemented by the Equipment Special Fund for Mutual Assistance (FEICOM). The latter is a national agency in charge of financing municipal projects and supporting local development throughout Cameroon.
The specific objective of PRODESV is to strengthen the capacity of secondary cities to cope with crises, accommodate new arrivals and promote inclusive communal socio-economic development in an environmentally friendly manner, in order to contribute to strengthening regional stability and better migration management in Cameroon.
The expected results of PRODESV are as follows:
- Public infrastructure promoting the socio-economic development of secondary cities is built, operated, maintained in a sustainable manner and used by the populations of host communities and migrants.
- Jobs and local entrepreneurial opportunities are created in connection with the construction, operation and use of infrastructure in secondary cities.
- The professional skills of refugees, internally displaced persons and other migrants and their host communities are strengthened.
- The capacities of secondary city administrations to manage infrastructure put in place and to manage emerging urban crises and conflicts are strengthened.
- The capacities of FEICOM staff to actively support all aspects of the implementation of PRODESV, as well as other similar projects and more generally to fulfil its mandate, are being strengthened.
The consortium led by AMBERO will support FEICOM throughout the execution phase of PRODESV. The services provided by the consortium include the following in particular:
- Develop in detail with the Promoter the details of the PRODESV implementation plan.
- Develop an intervention concept that considers the PRODESV approach, giving priority to the responsibility of the municipalities and involving departmental, regional and central bodies.
- Organize grouped national and regional workshops for planning and consultation on the Project’s measures.
- Support beneficiary municipalities in their planning, studies, participatory approach, approval process, procurement of services and works, project management, implementation, monitoring/control and commissioning of municipal projects.
- Approve, in consultation with FEICOM, municipal infrastructure projects and other measures to be implemented (support for IGAs, vocational training, etc.).
- Advice to municipalities on measures to operate and maintain infrastructure and other municipal projects.
- Implement technical and vocational training (FTP) in the municipalities and support income-generation projects in connection with infrastructure construction.
- Strengthen citizen participation and transparency in the context of municipal projects.
- Strengthen the capacities of municipalities, including in conflict management.
- Support budget planning and financial management.
- Strengthen the capacities of FEICOM and provide advisory support to FEICOM PRODESV structures at national and regional level.
- Support the transparent, efficient and effective management of the Program.
- Set up a monitoring and evaluation system for the Programme development of a remote monitoring system.
- Supervise PRODESV activities and operations by ensuring compliance with applicable laws and regulations relating to the environment, occupational health and safety, working conditions and social matters, in particular:
- Ensure the control of compliance with workplace safety by project owners.
- Ensure the quality control of the environmental and social impact studies carried out within the PRODESV framework.
- Support for the adaptation and implementation of the „Communication and Visibility Plan“.
AMBERO Consulting Gesellschaft mbH
D-61476 Kronberg i.Ts.
Phone: +49 6173 325 40 0
Fax: +49 6173 325 40 22