Improving the income perspectives of youth in Chad (PAMELOT)
The economy of western Chad is only marginally developed. The level of training is generally very low and, despite the demand, well-trained craftsmen are rare. There is not only a lack of expertise and qualified professionals, but also a lack of means to remedy this problem. As a result, the region is one of the most vulnerable and unstable in the country. The pressure on natural resources (water, land) is increasing and there is a worsening of conflicts over access to these resources between communes, between host communities and returning migrants, between farmers and herders and between sedentary and nomadic herders.
The lack of development, growing fragility and the propensity of the young population to resort to negative coping mechanisms combine to increase the risk of new instabilities emerging. The growing struggle for natural resources further complicates the maintenance of social cohesion and exacerbates conflicts. The impact of climate change is exacerbated by inadequate coping mechanisms. As a result, malnutrition and poverty are on the rise. Lack of participation in development planning, lack of employment, insufficient sources of income, especially for young men and women, and weak social cohesion are all conditions that hinder peaceful coexistence.
Addressing these issues can help to prevent instability, conflict, and uncontrolled external and internal migration in the long term. The aim of the module is therefore as follows: the conditions for peaceful coexistence are improved in selected municipalities in the provinces of Hadjer-Lamis, Bahr-El-Gazel and Kanem.
The project is structured in 4 components:
- Output 1: Development planning on a participatory basis is strengthened in the supported communes.
- Output 2: The income prospects of young people are improved.
- Output 3: The conditions for improving the economic situation of women are created.
- Output 4: The conditions for peaceful conflict management are improved.
Creation of a favourable context for the development of entrepreneurship:
- Socio-economic study on employment potential: Targeting of priority value chains and mapping of sectors along 3 dimensions: (1) possibility of income generation (2) demand for and supply of products and services (3) financial accessibility of services;
- Raising awareness and informing young people about the potentials of entrepreneurship;
- Capacity building of vocational training centres;
- Collaboration with private and public service and advisory structures for companies;
- Networking with financial and micro-credit institutions.
Vocational training and improving the employability of young people:
- Improving the economic performance and increasing the income of associations in rural areas;
- Vocational training and individual coaching of young entrepreneurs;
- Support for innovative companies, incubation, investment facilitation.
Local and Municipal Development Planning:
- Infrastructures supporting the economy by canton/commune in connection with the priority sectors;
- Development of a territorial marketing strategy and support for municipal authorities and local development actors in the search for investors for the realisation of economic infrastructures;
- Organisation of cash-for-work activities for the construction of some infrastructure or the supply of equipment supporting the local economy in connection with the CDP/LDPs and the selected sectors;
- Reinforcement of the operating and maintenance capacities of the infrastructures created or provision of equipment.
Improvement of the economic situation of women:
- Support for pilot initiatives around the integrated exploitation of oases from date palms (upper level), through fruit trees (middle level), to annual crops (lower level) such as market gardening, medicinal plants, fodder, cereals, certain industrial crops (henna, rose, tobacco), palm products (palms, trunks, spathes);
- Structuring of the actors of the horticultural sector at the level of the ouaddis (oases) of the areas concerned;
- Reinforcement of processing capacities and equipment in processing equipment, including solar energy;
- Support in the marketing aspect, product development and identification of new markets.
- Organisation of awareness-raising sessions for young people on existing economic potential;
- Promotion of the values of work: organisation of events such as „Sport and Development“, „Sport and Work“.
AMBERO Consulting Gesellschaft mbH
D-61476 Kronberg i.Ts.
Phone: +49 6173 325 40 0
Fax: +49 6173 325 40 22