Maritime Advisor and Coordinator of Maritime Training Centre (m/f/d) for the project “Advisory and Training for maritime related Industries” in Timor Leste
AMBERO is a service provider in the field of international development. Since 2003, AMBERO Consulting has supported national and international development agencies in the design, preparation, implementation, and monitoring of small- and large-scale projects that improve living conditions around the world.
The technical focus of our work is:
- Good governance and civil society
- Climate, environment, and biodiversity
- Regional and economic development
Further information about our company and our projects is available at www.ambero.de
Within the framework of the project “Advisory and Training for maritime related Industries” in Timor Leste, AMBERO Consulting and RINA are looking for an expert starting in May at the earliest for the position:
International Long-Term Expert, Maritime Advisor and Coordinator of Maritime Training Centre (f/m/d, up to 15 months).
In Timor-Leste, the institutional requirements for a functional maritime sector that responds to international expectations are yet to be established.
The lack of capacities within governmental organisations and inadequate availability of professionals in lower, medium and higher levels of management at Timorese administrative bodies are one of the main causes for the problems identified within the maritime sector in Timor-Leste.
The sector lacks the legal framework for operation, occupational safety and environmental protection, as set out and globally recognised in IMO- and ILO-conventions.
The country also lacks trained seafarers and other qualified specialists for the maritime sector, which is characterized by a high potential to grow. Existing vocational training is unable to meet current and future demand of maritime professionals in terms of quantity and quality.
Therefore, this project aims at strengthening the Timorese maritime sector increasingly to operate in accordance with internationally recognized standards from a legal, institutional and human resources standpoint.
- Coordinate maritime TVET center in Timor Leste
- Design and implement exit strategy for long-term financing (sustainable financing mechanism) for maritime TVET center, including fundraising and acquisition of financing, business model development, stakeholder engagement, increasing cost-efficiency of maritime trainings provided, market analysis, costumer needs assessment, etc.
- Continue capacity building for Timorese authorities to independently develop and conduct trainings and courses according to international standards/conventions
- Support team leader in development of overall exit strategy for German contribution to maritime sector development in Timor Leste
- Knowledge management, PR, communication
- Provide advisory on maritime training and education according to internationally recognized standards and conventions to national authorities and policy decision-makers
- Support capacity and organizational development of national partner organizations
- Establish strong cooperation with private sector stakeholders in maritime industries
- Establish partnerships for extending the scope of maritime project
- Support team leader in operational and strategic steering of the project
- Support M&E and reporting
- Industrial Engineer., Maritime Transport, Nautical Eng.
- Profound understanding of administration and management of training institutions
- At least 5 years work experience in maritime training and education (train-X, IMO model courses)
- Familiarity with international maritime conventions, above all STCW convention, proofed work experience in maritime sector
- At least 3 years of work experience with capacity building and organizational development at all levels of stakeholders
- At least 3 years of work experience in German or international Development Cooperation
- Regional work experiences in South East Asia
- English fluently, basic knowledge in German, good knowledge of Portuguese and/or Spanish
- Strong skills to work in intercultural team, strong focus on results and impacts
If you are interested, please send us your CV, preferably as a Word file, by email to Kathleen Schepp, with the subject: “International Long-Term Expert, Maritime Advisor and Coordinator of Maritime Training Centre”.
Incoming applications will only be considered until the 29th February 2020.
Note: Submitted applications will be saved by Ambero for three months. If you are generally interested in your CV being added to our expert database, please note this in your documents.
If you have any questions or comments, please do not hesitate to contact us by email.